Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About Waseda E-Resource Portal
This site lists e-resources that Waseda subscribes to as well as useful websites selected by our librarians. When you search for e-resources, you search a subset of the e-resources licensed for Waseda (i.e., databases, online journals by collection, e-books by collection). Individual titles of online journals and e-books, CD-ROMs, and DVD-ROMs are excluded.
Using this site
The e-resources listed on this site can be searched using the following methods.
Find databases by subject or resource type
To browse the list of e-resources by subject, select a subject area of your topic (e.g., Humanities, Social sciences, Natural sciences) from Advanced Search.
To browse the list of e-resources by type, select a resource type (e.g., Encyclopedias & Dictionaries, Journal Articles, Statistics & Data) from the drop-down menu.
Searches for subject and resource type can be combined.
Core databases for each subject or resource type will appear at the top of the list with Best Bet icon.
If you cannot find the e-resources you are looking for, try another subject or resource type or select “All subjects” or “All resource types” to broaden your search.
- Recommended databases
To access recommended databases directly, select a database from the drop-down menu and click “List.”
- Find databases by title or keyword
Search for databases by keywords in database’s title, name of online journal package, description of e-resources, etc. Multiple search terms separated by space are processed as an AND operation.
- Browse databases by title (A to Z list)
If you know the title of the database, click on the first letter of the title to see a list of database titles that begin with that letter. Databases are grouped by the first letter of each main title. If you cannot find the database in the list, try “Find databases by keyword.”
- Advanced Search
You can combine search criteria such as “Keywords,” “Subject,” “Resource type,"
Order of search results
In general, results of above searches are listed according to the main title of the e-resource. (If you select a subject or resource type in the “Find databases by subject or resource type” form, core databases for each subject area or resource type will appear at the top of the list with Best Bet icon.)
Sorting rules are as follows.
- Alphabets are case insensitive. Initial articles of title are ignored. (e.g., The Economist will be listed under E.)
Proper use of E-Resources
Please read the following guidelines before using e-resources.
User Instructions for E-resources
- The copyright for all databases, online journals, etc. and their contents, accessible from the Waseda University Libraries webpage and other links, are inherent to their authors and/or service providers and protected by the copyright laws of Japan as well as the international treaty on copyrighted materials.
- Access to such services is limited to the faculty, staff, and students of Waseda University, unless specified otherwise.
- Users have the responsibility for adhering to the set regulations, terms, and conditions for making use of each service.
All users are requested to refer to the contents of the User Regulations, Terms and Conditions, and User Agreement, etc., before accessing to such data.
- Users may download and/or print out the contents for individual research purposes, provided that the information is essential for appropriate purposes.
This rule does not apply to specifically prohibited or limited cases.
- Users are strictly prohibited to download data through automatic programming, etc. Moreover, downloading a large volume of data in short period of time by hand and/or systematic downloading of specified journals may also be considered as 'inappropriate.'
- Users must not violate the copyright of individual service providers by duplicating, distributing, revising, and editing the contents of the available data for purposes other than personal study/reference, without obtaining their approval in advance.
- Any serious breach of these requirements will result in the online service(s) being interrupted not only for the individual but for the whole university system. Users should be fully aware of this and exercise due responsibility in accessing to the available online sources. In case such trespassing causes damage to the university or the service provider involved, the Waseda University Libraries will ask the transgressor to compensate for the damages, contact the individual's home department, and/or take appropriate measures for the action.
Improper Use by using Link Prefetching of Web Browsers
"Link Prefetching"* of web browsers may cause the large volume data downloads / access even though you do not intend to do so.
Please disable this function through your web browser for the proper use.
* Prefetching continuously allows web browsers to access links in the background, while viewing a web page.
Using electronic resources from off- campus
Requiring log-out from VPN service and log-in for the Off-Campus Access when using the electronic resources outside the campus.
E-resources are NOT available via VPN service.